Khao San Road

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Koh San Road is somethin else. It is commonly known as the "backpacker ghetto". It's a couple streets of cheap and somewhat trashy vendors popular with young backpackers. You'll find bumping music and crowds late into the night... most of which are white travelers... many of which have dreadlocks, some lack shoes. This area is jammed with dirt cheap hotels ("mattress in a box" style), restaurants with colorful lights, hookah bars, travel agencies, bargain shopping, and massage parlors. It was fun to walk around and see it, but I wouldn't ever want to stay overnight in the area. 

I am a massage junkie. I'll take one anytime, any day from Yuriy. The massage parlors on Khao San Road offer one-hour full body Thai massages for about $5 US (here in the States, it's usually $60+). What a deal! We decided to get one at around midnight after a long day of walking. The women massaging us were pretty rough and seemed to fall asleep periodically. The massaging would pause and abruptly start up again. Not the best quality, but you can't beat the price. I would be falling asleep massaging past midnight too. I don't know how they do it!

This is a fun little area to grab a bite to eat (restaurant or street food) and get some cheap t-shirts or souvenirs.

- Julia


































20 comments :

  1. great shots (as usual)!! :)
    I have been to Bangkok many times already and we always stay close to the Khao San Road - there are good hostels close by the river.
    And yes, massages are the best and so cheap in Thailand. Nothing beats a massage on the beach though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The man's hair looks like poo :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. my hubby and I would love this street we are always down for something like this, although we would not stay in this area overnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colorful and intresting photos... I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are great. They really portray the vibrancy and liveliness of Khao San Road. How funny about the masseuse, but you're right-- $5 is an unbeatable price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos. This looks like a very exciting area. Totally my kind of place :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely gorgeous - they make me miss thailand so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are incredible, but all I can focus on is that dude's hair haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just started following you guys, lovin yorur work. nice mix of photos, well taken. love the use of DOF. shows off Khoa San well.. was there just over 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps they have to massage tourists past midnight in order to eat since they only get paid $5 per hour by people who can invariably afford to pay them a livable wage? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  11. very interesting. i dont know what to compare it to. you can hardly see the sky from all the cables!! haha.
    great shots

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always so blown away by your photography. Easily the best I've seen. I can't wait to make it to Thailand one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the expression on the watermelon guy's face - nice timing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these photos. They're gorgeous.

    I have a question about your photos, what size do you re size them to? And do you just use photoshop? I'm trying to figure out the best way to re size photos to do the size-by-size photo. I love the way it looks, but every time I do it, it looks wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your adventures are so phenomenal and inspiring. I truly love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These photographs are so ridiculously stunning! I wish I had that talent. I hope to make it to Thailand someday...it's on the old Bucket List! Great post and thanks for sharing.

    http://howficklemyheart.wordpress.com

    xoxo Allie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wanted to go to Thailand ever since I saw the movie, The Beach...cheesy, i know. But it was effective ;)! Your beautiful photos make me want to go even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi! i'm glad you like asian countries very much.. my home country is just nearby : malaysia! if you guys are going there one day, i'll be very happy to give you addresses, list of local food etc. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete