Kiev Street Fashion

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

People in Kiev may be the most fancy dressers in the world. Nice coats, boots, and fur are necessities (not so much the guys, but the definitely the girls). They dress up even more in the evenings (that's when the mini skirts and stilettos make a scene), but I couldn't get photos then because it was dark. We love doing a street fashion post in major cities around the world (we have one from Paris, London, and Vienna).  In other cities, we had to do a lot of walking and scout out people who were well dressed. In Kiev, they surrounded you at all times. At any moment, there was someone right next to you that deserved to be photographed. I took all these photos within an hour or two on our last day in the city with the last bit of light in the sky. 

Next time I go to Kiev, I'm definitely packing some nicer clothes. 

* Julia

P.S. This is the last Ukraine post. FINALLY. I feel like we've been stuck on Ukraine for so long and were a little afraid our readers would get bored, but you've stuck around! We were in four different Ukrainian cities and in the country for nearly 3 weeks, while many countries only got a few days. So as as a result, we had a lot of photos and stories to share, especially since this was our first time returning to our home country in 20 years. Thanks for all the feedback and for sharing your similar experiences as we posted our thoughts on returning to Ukraine for the first time, Yuriy's first visit in his birth town, my first visit in my birth townthe life of Yuriy's grandpa, and most recently an interview with my parents about immigrating to the US. Your comments were never as touching as they were during these Ukraine posts. Thank you! 

P.P.S. Ukraine wraps our time in Europe. Next is Hong Kong! 


18 comments :

  1. so cold:) I should buy a fur coat immediately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, everyone is so beautiful! But that last woman must have been COLD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Amazing! Now let's talk about that photo in which it looks like a woman's hair is matching her scarf. Is that actually her silvery hair or is it a hat that looks an awful lot like hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not bored :)
    and who says fur is boring? All of them look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these folks are very stylish indeed. I have noticed that Europeans put far more effort into being fashion forward than us americans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so different than what we were seeing in the spring! They do look a lot more fashionable in winter clothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I was a pro in heels! How do these women walk around in the snow with heels? Very impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have never guessed this is what people of Ukraine look like. I'm so used to 'nashi babe". this is awesome. I should visit my homeland Belarus, and open my eyes to the present state

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I never would have imagined that the women of Ukraine would walk around in those cold icy winters in stiletto boots! That is a true testament of style. I really love the fashion post - I'm off to take a peek at the other posts. Can't wait to hear about the next country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, one more thing - How did you go about asking to take these people's picture? I'm curious, did anyone say no?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, Kiev is full of fashionistas! It's so interesting to see the city in the wintertime through your photos. I remember it as extremely hot, but still just as stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing says more about a place than the people who can rock a winter look that reads both 'stylish' and 'i am quite warm, thank you!'. I will have to pull this up next January. Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful people - it isn't just their clothes, their eyes show their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it winter year round in Ukraine I feel like I have gone through coats cardigans and shorts and everyone in Ukraine seems to still be in fur coats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cool! also really looking forward to seeing your Asia shots and hearing about your adventures there x

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful photos. You guys had the time of your lives visiting all these countries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely agree with your observations on the way Ukrainians dressed. I lived there for two years and never got the hang of walking on the ice, even in my sturdy hiking boots. Yet beautifully dressed women in stiletto boots would zip right by me! What skill.
    -Kate
    http://andthennorway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ukraine's full of surprises it seems! The pictures & the people in them are absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete