Lviv Chocolate Factory

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

If you saw a giant chocolate Santa Claus eyeing you through a window, you would probably stop too. And go inside. And buy some chocolates. 

The Lviv Chocolate Factory was as magical as chocolate factories come (and I'm very fond of our local Theo Chocolate Factory in Seattle, so I'm biased). You can watch chocolates being made in the factory either through the front window, from the sidewalk, or indoors (where it's far toastier). It was fascinating to actually see gallons of melted chocolate being stirred and real chocolate chefs carefully pouring molds with the chocolate goo. 

After we passed through the production part of the factory, we followed the arrows upstairs to the shop to see the finished products. Here there were neat piles of beautiful chocolate balls, each labeled with their name. A little further on, the chocolate comes in many lovely shapes and sizes-- Santa Claus, teddy bears, hearts, or for the true chocolate savage, just a raw block of pure chocolate. The beautiful chocolate creations are tucked inside wicker baskets lined with doilies or tied with ribbons. And as if chocolate isn't enough, you can complete your indulgence by adding a bag of coffee beans and a small bundle of cinnamon sticks to your purchase.

Afterwards, guests in the chocolate factory can relax in the elegant little cafe and enjoy chocolates, coffee, and hot chocolate (so thick, I think it's literally just melted chocolate). 

Yuriy and I filled a little baggy with 2 of each chocolate, so neither of us would feel like we were missing out on a good one. 

- Julia
















22 comments :

  1. I am so envious! This post is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced your Ukraine photos are the best of all the travel photos you've posted thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newton- Thank you! I think we might agree with you. Maybe because we felt connected to this country and tried so hard to capture it well. Also, how often do you see travel photos from Ukraine? Not very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. annnd...i'm now going to go raid my kitchen for chocolate :)

    great pictures. mouthwatering, in fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo this is temptation heaven. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmh looks delicious! I am loving your Ukraine posts, also the one before about the people of Lviv was beautiful!
    Thanks so much for sharing, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  7. so switt !!

    Um, beautiful place


    michal

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! That is so cool... I'm glad you both went in here and took photos to share with all of us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. a chocolate lovers heaven. I would love to have the job of a chocolatier mixing chocolates and pouring molds all day.

    I will always miss having my first job at the age of 14 a a little chocolate shop in Northern California called Chocolate Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! that is just a paradise of yumminess!
    and I'm in Belgium where chocolate is king :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so charming and I too am biased towards Theos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, Oh my, Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would loose control in here. THIS is my weakness...LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the positive feedback, ladies. Hope you were able to find some chocolate in a cupboard after reading this. :)

    Inessa- Talk about a dream job for a 14 year old! My (Julia's) first job at 16 was decorating cakes at Dairy Queen... I will always miss it too.

    Mylifereinvented- Have you been on the chocolate factory tour at Theo? It's like $6 and totally worth it! You get to sample all the chocolate and learn so much about chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! Now I really need some chocs after seeing all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness!! These look absolutely ravishing!!! The chocolate balls look like they can just melt after popping one in your mouth! I am going to make it a point to find a chocolate factory where ever i end up traveling to experience chocolate in the raw for myself :D:D Thank you for sharing and making me crave some HOT chocolate(n not the powdered crap). I love that you two are sharing -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. just went to the factory - it was great your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just went to the factory and had Lviv hot chocolate - wonderful! Your photos are wonderful also.

    ReplyDelete