Paris Street Fashion

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I knew to expect well-dressed people in Paris, and it was still the first thing I noticed and couldn’t help marveling at. The men all wear fitted cloths, dress shoes, and scarves. On a daily basis. American men are challenged when it comes to slacks and collared shirts. Which are reserved for special occasions only. They’re usually baggy and look awkward. Parisian women look just as chic in semi-formal wear. Jeans and sneakers are rare (a good way to spot a tourist, actually). I don’t remember a single hoody. Well-made, tailored jackets and boots rule the streets. I saw so many nice handbags, I’m now ashamed of my pathetic purse stash at home. 

We saw a lot of skinny pants, rugged and unlaced boots, variations of oxford shoes, crazy runway heels, tights and leggings, hats!, old school thick-rimmed glasses, menswear on women (such as blazers), leather jackets, scarves of every style, men with bags, and trench coats. 

Yuriy and I longed for a pair of boots. Since we had to pack tight (one suitcase each for 6 months of travel) and we plan to spend a lot of time in warm weather, we decided to leave bulky boots behind. The chilly early autumn weather and rain drizzles in Paris demanded them.

By chance, we happened to be in the city during Paris Fashion Week! This is the big event of the season when all the designer fashion shows happen and Spring/Summer collections for the following year are revealed. International fashion weeks start in New York, moves through Milan and London, then ends in Paris. Unlucky for us, it is almost impossible to get into a show here unless you have connections in the fashion industry. But you can bet we saw some fashionistas around town!







25 comments :

  1. My fav is the very last one on the left. Her hair color is awesome!! Looks like those flat boots will be instyle for awhile. I need to get me some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun! Did you guys at least try to manage a sneak look at all the frenzy happening outside of the shows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could be a fashion blogger like Vanessa Jackman: http://vanessajackman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris Fashion Week?? Nice! I remember feeling sloppy in my flip-flops, which are ubiquitous here during the summer, in Rome and Paris. You guys are like the Sartolialist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. it's like a runway shoot! great photos (as always), and now i want a whole new wardrobe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh those europeans. always showboating their great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great shots, but i just cant stop thinking how do you get so many people to pose for the camera? and i am guessing u dont speak fluent French..

    ReplyDelete
  8. It went something like this: "Excusez-moi", tap on the shoulder, "can I take your photo?" (while holding up camera). If they didn't speak English, they usually got the message when they saw the bulky camera. And when we mentioned "it's for a fashion blog", we thought they'd get excited to be picked, but they acted very cool... like people take their photos every day. They totally knew how to pose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so jealous! When we went to Paris I was totally expecting great style and really didn't see much of it at all. You so lucked out being there for fashion week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at these is so inspiring to me! Lovely shots! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow, your post made me smile,as if you came up to me and proposed to take a pic of me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. Did you meet Vika Gazinskaya (short hair, orange top, gray skirt)??? Did you get to talk to her? Her style is so unique - one of the best dressed Russians in the fashion industry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is awesome!!! :) i love all these different styles!!! amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously? I haven't heard of Vika, but I just googled her. Could very well be her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So awesome love all the diff styles!!
    ~ Love the guy dressed up riding the bicycle lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is Vika. I just checked her style thread on a fashion forum, and there's a recent picture of her in the same outfit. She's somewhat of a celebrity in the fashion blogs. Lucky you that you got to photograph her! Love all your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats awesome!
    When we went to Sweden in 2008 I could just sit and stare at all the different people and how they dress! amazing really...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check it out Vika is wearing the same outfit on http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, my previous comment about The Sartorialist is kind of ironic--check this out http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2010/12/on-streetvika-paris.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa and Natalia- Good eye! How funny we caught her on the same day in Paris. She probably felt really hot that day to be photographed several times for street fashion blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how they dress up way more than Americans do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paris Fashion Week?? Nice! I remember feeling sloppy in my flip-flops, which are ubiquitous here during the summer, in Rome and Paris. You guys are like the Sartolialist!
    semi formal dresses

    ReplyDelete