Delighting in Paris I

Friday, October 15, 2010

When I first came up the stairs from the underground metro onto a busy Paris street, I felt like standing in one spot and spinning in circles to take in the charming apartment buildings stacked on top of cafes amidst bustling (gorgeous) people. Had I traveled back in time? Was I thrown onto the set of a movie? Dreaming? Another planet? This being my first trip to Europe, it felt more than a little unreal. Planning a wedding for a year left me little time to plan for and anticipate this trip and it felt so sudden and foreign and thrilling.

I took great pleasure in being an observer of a new people and their ways. A fly on the wall at each place we entered. Being a sheltered American, I took notice of absolutely everyone with smokes.  In America, smoking has become taboo, but in Paris, I was repeatedly surprised when beautiful, sophisticated women stepped outside to light up. People smoke right outside the restaurant doors, so the smell is ever present, even inside. I looked with curiosity at the French greeting of a kiss on each cheek. I never got used to climbing 4 flights of stairs to our 5th floor apartment (no elevator). I loved to people watch while navigating the metro and felt exhilaration when we had to weasel our way into a packed metro car with sardine-can-tight standing room only. We were glad not to be driving cars—the city of Paris issues 8 million traffic tickets every year, and 7.5 million of those are for illegal parking. It’s no wonder so many people ride bikes to get around town, even in high heels! The mix of nationalities, especially the prevalence of African-French people, surprised me. I don’t know why I was expecting purely French people in a big international city. Even the most basic French phrases made my brain (and mouth) tired, especially the throaty “r’s”. I felt very Seattle-like walking in the rain while everyone whipped out a fancy umbrella at the slightest drizzle. Umbrellas almost seemed proper, like an accessory. 

More later today.

- Julia






17 comments :

  1. Wow! Beautiful!! Can't wait to go there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you two just look so refreshed! =)
    Europe looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's just amazing! Julia, the picture of you in front of the Eiffel tower makes you look just like your mama! Looks like you're having an amazing time and I don't know if your intent was to make me green with jealousy... but I'm currently a certain hue of emerald.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what prettyness! You two are so dang lucky; such a perfect honeymoon (and all documented so, so well). These are going to be even more priceless 20 years from now:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures are just beautiful! I love them all! It makes me want to grab an awesome camera and go someplace I've never been before and do the same thing as you. Okay, so that would be called "copycatting" but this is just the thing that thrills me. I'm hoping some day I can travel like this too. I suppose I need to get rich and famous first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks Awesome! Glad you guys are enjoying.. the blog is fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too fell in love with Paris the second I stepped out of the metro. I'll never forget that precise moment. I love the way you capture the spirit of Paris so beautifully in all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia, your writing is really cool, i just noticed, i mean i think you should write a book. you have a good style.

    oo i love the wine bar. ah. love it all, your photos are super

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. I like the one of Yuriy sitting at some bistro and the guy walking buy with the "what are you smiling about?" look. Well, you two have lots to smile about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super Cute Pics!
    Loving all of them!
    You guys are so lucky! Enjoy every moment of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, look at you two honeymooning lovebirds. You do look relaxed and refreshed, as someone above said.

    I like your guys' eye for detail--from the quintessential Eiffel Tower (so pretty at night), to Yuriy looking like a tourist with a map on the metro, to a box of vintage-looking buttons--there are many layers of your experience documented here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just stumbled on your blog after seeing your gorgeous wedding.. it's amazing! love all the different perspectives in your photos. i feel like i'm there, for a second!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in love with your pictures!
    Do you edit everyone or is your camera just amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our camera is pretty splendid, but we do some light editting on all our photos with Totally Rad Actions. Read more on our FAQ: http://mrmrsglobetrot.blogspot.com/2010/11/faq.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm new to the blog, and think it is absolutely fantastic! All of the pictures are stunning.
    I know what you mean about Paris. It has this magic to it that you just can't explain. I'm dying to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just discovered your blog and I am soooooo in heaven!! I'm curled up on the couch with my laptop - getting lost in your stories and photos!! I'm actually deciding to start at the beginning of your journey and read all the way through... even though you're so far into your jouney already. I want to see the whole thing!! :)
    lots of love from Iowa!
    xo megan

    ReplyDelete